Valentine’s Day is on the horizon, and what better way to spread love than by crafting a heart-shaped cake? TeeNavi brings you an insightful guide on how to make a heart shaped cake a delightful and straightforward venture suitable for all skill levels. Ditch the traditional box of chocolates and embark on a journey of sweetness with our expert tips. Let TeeNavi be your companion in creating a memorable Valentine’s Day treat that will leave a lasting impression on your loved ones.
1. How to make a heart shaped cake
Take a bite of this irresistibly moist red velvet cake and you’re sure to capture the hearts of everyone! It’s as simple to whip up as a boxed mix but delivers a flavor that’s a thousand times richer. It’s time to gather your pantry ingredients and start baking!
1.1 Ingredients you’ll need
Don’t let the length of the ingredient list intimidate you, this heart-shaped cake is crafted from basic pantry staples that you likely already have at home! As you learn how to make a heart shaped cake, you’ll find that once your delightful red cake is baking in the oven, you only need four simple ingredients to whip up the most exquisite cream cheese frosting. It’s incredibly easy and straightforward!
- All-purpose flour: Ideal for baking, its low protein content ensures your cake is light and fluffy, fitting for a Valentine’s Day centerpiece.
- Cocoa powder: Choose your favorite! Dutch-process cocoa is my go-to for its rich flavor, which enhances the Valentine’s ambiance.
- Baking soda and baking powder: Essential for a well-risen cake, making it a showstopper on your Valentine’s Day table.
- Granulated sugar: Sweetens your cake, just like the moments you’ll share around the table.
- Salt: A flavor enhancer to prevent blandness, much like the thoughtful details of your Valentine’s Day decor.
- Buttermilk: Gives red velvet its unique flavor, adding to the specialness of your Valentine’s Day celebration.
- Vegetable oil: Binds fats for a moist cake, ensuring your centerpiece is as delicious as it is beautiful.
- Large eggs: Bind the ingredients together, much like the shared experiences around your Valentine’s table.
- White vinegar: Adds a tangy flavor that pairs wonderfully with cocoa, surprising your Valentine’s Day guests.
- Vanilla extract: For a deeper, sweeter flavor, mirror the love and care in your Valentine’s Day preparations.
- Liquid red food coloring: Creates the signature red velvet color, as vibrant and passionate as Valentine’s Day itself.
Ingredients for making cream cheese frosting:
- Cream cheese: I always opt for full-fat cream cheese for the most delicious outcomes.
- Unsalted butter: Butter brings a rich taste to your frosting, ensuring it remains smooth and creamy.
- Vanilla extract: This enhances the flavor of your frosting.
- Powdered sugar: Sweetens your frosting perfectly. Powdered sugar also aids in achieving a smooth consistency.
1.2 Step 1 – Bake and cut heart-shaped cakes
This recipe is divided into three easy parts: how to make a heart shaped cake, the frosting, and how to assemble it all! You’ll quickly create a beautiful heart-shaped cake with these steps.
- Prep pans and preheat oven: Start by preheating your oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Use pan spray on one 8-inch round pan and one 8-inch square pan, then line them with parchment paper. After spraying the parchment, set the pans aside.
- Whisk dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Add sugar and salt to this mix and whisk them together. Set this aside.
- Whisk wet ingredients, and combine: In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs, vinegar, vanilla, and red food coloring. Now, add your flour mixture to these liquid ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Bake: Evenly distribute the batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes. The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool: Allow the cakes to cool for 10-15 minutes before turning them out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling. While the cake cools, prepare your cream cheese frosting.
>>>> HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS: 35 valentine’s day breakfast ideas: start your day with love
1.3 Step 2 – Making the cream cheese frosting
The next step in learning how to make a heart shaped cake and how to achieve a perfect frosting for it involves preparing the cream cheese frosting:
- Combine butter and cream cheese: Start by placing the butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl or a stand mixer. Cream them together until they are thoroughly mixed and achieve a creamy consistency.
- Incorporate vanilla: Then, introduce the vanilla extract to the mixture and beat it in. During this process, you might need to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure that everything is evenly mixed and no ingredient is left out.
- Add powdered sugar: Slowly mix the powdered sugar into the creamy mixture. Begin at a low speed to incorporate the sugar and then gradually increase the speed. Continue beating until the frosting reaches a fluffy and smooth texture, ideal for your heart-shaped cake.
>>>> LEARN MORE: 35 heartfelt valentine’s day recipes of cookies for him and her
1.4 Step 3 – Fill and crumb coat
Begin by placing the first cake layer on a cutting board. To create the pointed end of the heart, use a serrated knife and follow these steps on how to make a heart shaped cake. It’s often easiest to do this by eye. Continue the process with any additional cake layers. Utilize the first trimmed cake layer as a template for the others to streamline the process. If you’re not serving the cake on the turntable, trim an 8-inch cardboard cake round in the same fashion as the cake layers. This becomes the base of your heart-shaped cake and simplifies the transfer off the turntable once decorated.
On the turntable, place the cardboard base from Step 1. Before adding the first cake layer, spread a bit of buttercream on the base. Position the two curved pieces cut in Step 1 at the top of the heart, securing them with buttercream. Next, add a layer of filling and then the second layer of cake. Attach the curved heart pieces with buttercream as you did before. To accentuate the heart shape, apply a thin crumb coat of buttercream, effectively sealing in any crumbs. Refrigerate the crumb-coated cake for at least 30 minutes to harden the frosting, completing the steps on how do I make a heart shaped cake.
>>>> INTERESTING INFORMATION: Tempting this 20 valentines day desserts to satisfy your tooth
1.5 Step 4 – Decorate
Discover how to make a heart shaped cake with endless decoration possibilities, inviting you to unleash your creativity! To recreate the design shown, begin by applying light pink buttercream frosting (using AmeriColor Soft Pink) to your heart-shaped cake. This process is similar to frosting a round cake, and perhaps even simpler. For a smooth finish, use an icing smoother on the sides.
Next, employ a small angled spatula to gently pull the frosting that gathers at the top edges inward, creating crisp, clean lines. Chill the frosted cake for a minimum of 20 minutes while preparing the remaining buttercream. Divide the remaining buttercream into three bowls. In the first, blend a few drops of AmeriColor Chili Pepper and Super Red to achieve a rich red tone, adjusting the color as needed. Transfer a few tablespoons of this deep red buttercream to the second bowl, mixing it to form a medium pink hue. Finally, add about a teaspoon of this medium pink to the third bowl to create a light pinkish cream color.
Utilize Wilton Tip 1M for piping elegant swirls in any pattern you desire on the cake. To add texture, fill gaps by creating swirls with Wilton Tip 32 and stars with Tips 4B and 32.
Complete your heart-shaped masterpiece with a sprinkle of Sprinkle Pop Vintage Rose Gold sprinkles, which harmoniously complement the buttercream palette. This guide not only explains how to make a heart shaped cake but also demonstrates how to make a heart cake with intricate details and professional finishing touches.
2. Tips for making heart-shaped cakes
Making a cake from scratch might seem challenging, but with these easy tips and tricks, you’ll learn how to make a heart shaped cake that turns out perfectly every time! Just remember these straightforward guidelines and your homemade heart-shaped creation will be a success.
- Chill your cake: For easier cutting and handling, especially when learning how to make a cake heart, chill your cake before frosting. A cool cake simplifies the process significantly.
- Ingredients at room temperature: Achieve a smooth batter by using wet ingredients at room temperature. Set out eggs and dairy products about 30 minutes before starting your cake.
- Homemade buttermilk: No buttermilk? No problem! Easily make your own at home for your heart-shaped cake with a simple 2-ingredient recipe available here.
- Avoid overmixing: Mix the cake batter just until smooth. Overmixing leads to gluten formation, resulting in a rubbery cake texture.
- Experiment with frosting: For a chocolate twist on your heart-shaped cake, try my chocolate cream cheese frosting. Or opt for white chocolate buttercream for a sweeter touch.
- Essential crumb coat: Don’t skip this step when making a heart-shaped cake. The first frosting layer acts as a glue, holding the cake together and trapping crumbs. This ensures a smooth application for the next layer of frosting.
In conclusion, mastering the art of making a heart-shaped cake for Valentine’s Day is an enjoyable and rewarding process. Thanks to TeeNavi‘s guidance and these straightforward tips, you now have the knowledge and confidence to create a stunning and delicious cake that perfectly captures the spirit of love and celebration. Remember, whether it’s about choosing the right ingredients or applying the perfect crumb coat, each step is crucial in learning how to make a heart shaped cake.
>>>> VIEW NOW: Whisk romance with these 35 valentine’s day dinner ideas