There are many ways how to make a t-shirt look vintage. You can use different methods of customization to create a unique and stylish shirt that stands out from the rest. Check out these 8 easy tips at TeeNavi post to get started!
>>>> SEE MORE: 20 the greatest custom T-shirts – The most unique of all time
1. What is the t-shirt look vintage?
Really, it’s very difficult to answer the question of what will a vintage t-shirt look like and how to make a t-shirt look vintage. In fact, the classic look of a t-shirt depends a lot on the style of the person wearing it. However, we also see many distinctive elements that every classic t-shirt has:
First, classic t-shirts often have a faded or worn-out look. At first glance, the t-shirt looks like it has been worn for a long time with unique patterns that have not been produced in recent years. In the end, a classic t-shirt will look more spacious, this is its ultimate feature, making it more comfortable to wear.
>>>> PICK IT UP: How to make T-shirts with heat press in 2022 | Easy & effective
2. How to make a t-shirt look vintage easily
Did you know those vintage t-shirts are very expensive because of their commercial production? Therefore, it is very challenging to have an authentic classic t-shirt. Don’t worry, we’re giving you techniques to make more classic-looking t-shirts at home right now. The ingredients to make this stylish t-shirt are really easy to find and easy to use. Here are how to make a t-shirt look vintage:
2.1 Using vinegar and lemon juice
Really, this is the fastest and cheapest way how to make a t-shirt look vintage. Here, TeeNavi will share fading clothes with lemon juice.
- Step 1: All you need to do is mix the vinegar and juice quickly in equal proportions. Then, you lightly spray this mixture on the fabric of your t-shirt (you can put the above mixture in a spray bottle). With this method, you should keep the t-shirt dry, and avoid water absorption before spraying the solution on it.
- Step 2: You can use your hands or a brush to rub this mixture into your t-shirt fabric. Having done this, you will feel that your t-shirt becomes very faded.
- Step 3: Dry the shirt and wear it right after. The classic T-shirt made from lemon and vinegar can be used for a long time, even years to come.
2.2 Sandpaper or Dremel
If you are looking for a way to make your t-shirt look even more classic, consider sandpaper and Dremel. You can use the above 2 items to sand and make your shirt more wrinkled. This method is difficult to do, but the result will amaze you with its originality and classic. We will introduce you to the most specific operations for this method.
- Step 1: To start, sand your t-shirt in a circular motion. Be careful that you rub it gently and slowly to make sure the fabric is not damaged.
- Step 2: You can also try using Dremel to create deeper scratches in the fabric, don’t forget to work it gently if you don’t want a damaged shirt.
- Step 3: Once finished, you can clean the shirt and let it dry before wearing it. Note that this method has the potential to fade and discolour the shirt, so your t-shirt will not last as long as it does with vinegar and lemon.
2.3 How to make a t-shirt look vintage by cutting, tearing, and clipping
Follow these steps to how to make a t-shirt look vintage:
- Step 1: You fix the piece of t-shirt between your index and middle fingers. You should end up with a fabric loop. Cut the end of the loop with your scissors. Thus, you will have a small hole in the garment. Repeat this in other parts of the shirt depending on your preference.
- Step 2: Tear off the contours for a special accent. You can use scissors or a sharp knife to make a small cut in the bottom hem. Then you pull the two parts apart. This will make the shirt look ragged. Keep dragging until you are satisfied with the result.
- Step 3: If you want the cuffs or neck to stretch, take a sharp knife and clip it over the edge. This will make the hem stretch naturally and easily.
Finally, whether you’re cutting, tearing, or cutting your t-shirt, always remember to wash it after you’re done personalizing it. You use your regular wash cycle and detergent to soften rips and nicks. It will also start to fray and make the wound look more natural.
>>>> REVEAL: 10 tips on how to make T-shirts bigger | With & without sewing
2.4 Water and table salt
It’s really simple using water and table salt to fray your t-shirt. This does not require much preparation. However, like vinegar, this solution only fades and softens fabrics. Here are how to soften t shirts with salt:
- Step 1: For an image or print design, combine the salt solution with an abrasive like Dremel or sandpaper.
- Step 2: Soak the salt solution in a bucket of water. Swish your t-shirt in the solution for 30 seconds. Make sure the clothes are completely submerged in the water.
- Step 3: Soak the shirt for three days. After 3 days, wash your new shirt.
2.5 How to make a t-shirt look vintage with acetone
Making a t-shirt look classic with acetone is a simple four-step process:
- Step 1: You need to mix acetone with water in a spray bottle.
- Step 2: You need to spray the mixture on the shirt fabric. When doing this method, you need to keep your t-shirt dry.
- Step 3: Use your hands or a brush to rub the mixture into the fabric. This will help fade the color of the shirt.
- Step 4: Let the shirt dry completely in the air before wearing it. The acetone blend will help keep the fabric looking classic for years to come!
2.6 Bleaching and fading
You know, Bleach is a popular color fader these days. This option will work well on most fabrics, but you must exercise extreme caution. Some fabrics will damage immediately when washed with bleach.
- Step 1: Pour water into half a bucket, sink or basin, paying attention to the water level enough to cover the clothes.
- Step 2: Stir the bleach with wooden tongs.
- Step 3: Put on protective gloves and soak the garment in the water-bleach mixture for 1-2 minutes. Then you shake it in the solution. This method allows you to soak the shirt for up to 10 minutes.
- Step 4: Wash the clothes thoroughly in hot water. Then wash the clothes as usual.
2.7 Tea and coffee wash
You can use tea and coffee laundry detergent as a way to make a t-shirt look vintage. This is of course a very simple process requiring only a few ingredients.
- Step 1: Brew a pot of strong tea. Be sure to use black tea, as it will be most effective. Let the tea cool completely.
- Step 2: Mix the cooled tea with some coffee grounds. The coffee will help fix the dye and make the shirt a bit darker.
- Step 3: Put the mixture into a spray bottle and spray on the fabric of the shirt. Be sure to avoid wetting the fabric before using this method.
- Step 4: Use your hands or a brush to rub the mixture into the fabric. This will help fade the color of the t-shirt and make it more vintage.
>>>> CLICK NOW: 10+ tips to make T-shirt cute | Ideas & steps to remake T-shirt
2.8 Pumice wash
Pumice stone has many grits and works similarly to sandpaper. The only difference is that there is no need to rub too hard. Pumice is really easy to find, it’s available at your local craft or construction store. You can also use rock salt instead.
- Step 1: Fill half a bucket with warm water, enough to soak your shirt.
- Step 2: Soak your shirt in and start hitting the pumice stone. Continue stirring until all of the pumice is added to the bucket.
- Step 3: Soak the clothes for three days. When three days have passed, rinse in water and then wash as usual.
In the process of how to make a t-shirt look vintage, you may encounter some obstacles, check out the following FAQs that you may also be wondering about during your home t-shirt-making process:
3.1 How do you make a t-shirt look faded?
There are many ways to make a t-shirt look faded. One easy way is to use vinegar and lemon juice. You can also use sandpaper or a Dremel to create a distressed look. Additionally, you can cut, tear, and clip the fabric to create a more vintage appearance. Finally, you can use water and table salt to fade the shirt.
3.2 How to make a black shirt look vintage with bleach?
If you want to make a black t-shirt more opaque with bleach, you will need to mix the bleach with water in a 1:1 ratio. Next, soak the shirt in the mixture and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Afterward, rinse the shirt in cold water and air dry it.
3.3 How to make a new shirt look old?
There are a few simple ways that you can make your t-shirt look older. One way is to use bleach to fade and lighten the fabric. You can also use tea or coffee to create a weathered and aged appearance. Finally, you can use pumice stones to scuff up the fabric and give it a more vintage look.
With just a few simple steps at TeeNavi post, you can transform any plain t-shirt into a classic vintage-style piece that you’ll love to wear again and again. If you’re looking for a unique and stylish way to stand out from the rest at your next party or event, learning how to make a t-shirt look vintage is a perfect solution.